On January 31, 2018 the CFACDL and the OCBA Criminal Law Committee presents: Your Guide to Court Records with David Margolis. There has been 1.5h of Technology CLE credit already approved. The Cost is $10 if you RSVP via Eventbrite by January 26. It will be $15 after January 26. A BBQ Lunch will be provided, including Pulled Pork, Pulled Chicken, Mac&Cheese, Coleslaw, Regular & Vegetarian Baked Beans, Rolls.
Mr. Margolis is the General Counsel for the Orange County Clerk of Court. He has graciously agreed to speak to our organizations about a variety of issues with court records. including:
– Substantial Assistance Agreements; ie. how to properly get the plea and other contents of the record sealed, how to get the event log withheld from public view to avoid anyone being able to see a resolution was reached.
– Sealing & expungement from the clerk’s perspective, i.e. what actually happens at the clerk’s office when we are ordered to seal or expunge a case .
– Redaction of information that’s required by law to be redacted; i.e. the name of the alleged victim in sex crimes cases.
– The filing and access to search warrants, arrest warrants, chapter 934 orders, and supporting affidavits.
– Access to juvenile records.
– Rules governing the retention of original documents (e.g. a signed J&S) versus destruction of original documents and electronic preservation.
We look forward to seeing you there!