We have the honor of hosting FACDL President Michael Ufferman. Mr. Ufferman will be our April 27th, 2016, CFACDL Luncheon speaker, where he will be discussing the present and future projects and goals for FACDL and its Regional organizations as well as his work on Graham and Miller cases that held life without parole sentences for juveniles convicted of non-homicide offenses unconstitutional and mandatory life-without-parole sentences for all children 17 or younger convicted of homicide are unconstitutional. Mr. Ufferman will also take Q&A afterwards. Don’t miss this phenomenal opportunity!!
Michael Ufferman of Tallahassee became the president of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (FACDL) at the conclusion of the 28th FACDL Annual Meeting in Key Biscayne, Florida. Mr. Ufferman is a Florida Bar board certified criminal appellate attorney. For over 10 years, Mr. Ufferman has owned a private practice that concentrates on criminal appellate and post-conviction cases.
Mr. Ufferman is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in Atlanta, Georgia, the United States District Court for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida, and all state and appellate courts in the State of Florida.
Mr. Ufferman has handled hundreds of state and federal appellate and post-conviction motions. Mr. Ufferman has drafted state and federal direct appellate briefs, post-conviction appellate briefs, federal 2254 and 2255 motions, and state 3.800 and 3.850 motions. Mr. Ufferman has appeared at oral argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, the Supreme Court of Florida, and the First, Second, and Fifth District Courts of Appeal.
Michael Ufferman Law Firm, Tallahassee, Florida (2004 – present)
Robert Augustus Harper Law Firm, Tallahassee, Florida (2002 – 2004)
Supreme Court of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida (1997 – 2002)
Senior Staff Attorney for Justice Major B. Harding
Honors & Distinctions
– Board Certified in Criminal Appeals by The Florida Bar
– “Florida Super Lawyers” 2013 to present
– Selected in 2010 as a “Legal Elite” in the area of appellate practice by Florida Trend magazine
– Received the 2009, 2012 Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers President’s Extra Mile Award
– Received the 2010 Gene Taylor Memorial Award – the annual award given by the Tallahassee Chapter of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
– Received the 2010 Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers President’s Appreciation Award
– Recognized by the top legal guide The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Appellate Law (2007 – present)
– AV® Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell. An AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence. A lawyer must be admitted to the bar for 10 years or more to receive an AV® rating.
– Member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel, Northern District of Florida
Legal: Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida.
Juris Doctor with High Honors, May 1997.
Honors: Florida State University Law Review ; Book Award – Race and the Criminal Justice System; Katzentine-Simon Scholarship recipient; Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity.
The Florida Bar, admitted 1997